How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
This article on how to roast pumpkin seeds came about after a request from someone who read my Pumpkin Seed Recipe article.
High fiber content, tastefulness and richness in anti-oxidants are some of the factors that have contributed to the high rise in popularity for roasted pumpkin seeds. They are also excellent sources of proteins and have high levels of vitamins. On top of that, they can help to cure depression, improve bladder function and even help to prevent Osteoporosis and cancers.
Roasting pumpkin seeds is easy and anyone can do it, so here's how to roast pumpkin seeds...
First, you need, obviously, the pumpkin seeds. Make sure they come from a pumpkin that is fresh.
The other ingredients are:
- vegetable oil (optional)
- salt pepper
- A cup of water.
For seasoning, you may like to add chili powder or garlic (optional).
For equipment, you will need:
- a serrated knife (optional)
- a baking sheet / cookie sheet or wire gauze
Preparation & Cooking
- 1. Using cold water, wash and rinse the pumpkin seeds and remove the pulp. For ease of pulping, do not wait until the seeds are dry; remove it as soon as you get the seeds from the pumpkin. Soak the seeds in salt water for a while (optional) - this will significantly add to the flavour.
- 2.Dry the seeds off with a kitchen towel and place them on the oiled baking sheet / cookie sheet or wire gauze. You can also non-stick cooking spray or butter in lieu of oil. The oil can also be flavoured with things such as lemon, garlic, ginger and cinnamon depending on your taste. It's great to experiment with the flavours to find out which you prefer.
- 3. Roast the seeds at around 280 degrees F in an oven for about 10-20 minutes. Remember to sprinkle them with salt about half way through.
- 4.Once they are a golden brown colour, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Eat when cool or you can use an air-tight container to store them.
Health Benefits associated with roasting pumpkin seeds
- 1.Protection of the prostate: The risk of developing prostate cancer is significantly reduced when you consume these seeds. Urination also is enhanced, and overall prostate health maintained.
- 2.Cure for depression: Roasted pumpkin seeds are excellent anti-depressants. They contain compound L-tryptophan that is responsible for combating depression.
- 3.Prevention of osteoporosis: Pumpkin seeds are very rich in zinc which provides natural defense against osteoporosis. Low zinc intake has adverse effects on bone formation and reinforcement.
- 4.Safe anti-inflammatory: Whether roasted or otherwise, pumpkin seeds are a great way to deal with inflammation. They are safe and surprisingly effective. You won’t experience the unplesant side-effects that are characteristic of regular anti-inflammatory drugs.
- 5.Reduction of cholesterol and cancer prevention: Pumpkin seeds usually contain compound phytosterol that is known to reduce the level of harmful cholesterol in the body; and is a know prevention against cancer.
Return from How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds to Growing Vegetables in Containers
Return from How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds to Home Page